Two Marshals arrested in shooting investigation


NEW ORLEANS (AP) – The head of Louisiana’s state police says two law enforcement officers have been arrested in the recent shooting death of a 6-year-old boy and his father’s wounding earlier this week.

Col. Mike Edmonson said at a late Friday news conference that the two officers are being booked on charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder in the shooting in the central Louisiana town of Marksville.

Edmonson identified the two officers as Norris Greenhouse Jr. and Derrick Stafford.

State police have been investigating the Tuesday night death of Jeremy Mardis, who was in a vehicle with his father when pursuing officers opened fire. The boy’s father was wounded.

Edmonson gave few details of what happened but says the investigation is ongoing. Two other officers were involved in the incident.


Three of the four Marksville City Marshals involved in Tuesday’s shooting are on leave from their full-time jobs.

Marksville Police Chief Elster Smith said Friday afternoon that he had placed three of the men, who are full-time Marksville Police Officers, on administrative leave. The fourth, who is a reserve Marksville Police Officer, is on leave from that position.

The fourth also is a full-time Alexandria City Marshal; calls to that agency Friday were not answered.

Smith identified the men as a lieutenant with 13 years in his department; a lieutenant with eight years and a sergeant with five years.

A decision has not yet been made as to whether the men will be on paid leave or unpaid leave, the chief said.

The police department has only 18 officers, Smith said, but he said he feels the suspension of the four will not cause any problems.

“We can always ask for help from the Sheriff’s Office and other area agencies,” Smith said.

Four part-time Marksville City Marshals fired on a vehicle Tuesday night that contained Chris Few of Marksville and his son, Jeremy Mardis, 6. Few remains in a hospital in Alexandria; his first-grade, autistic son is dead of multiple gunshot wounds to the head and torso.