The Rapides Parish Fair where we have loads of great FREE entertainment for the entire family. October 14-18th 2015! Tons of food vendors with every type of food you can imagine, rides, games and more for all ages.
The fair grounds are located on Hwy 71 South next to the State Evacuation Shelter, 8125 Hwy 71 South right past the LSU-A campus. This year thanks to LSU-A the fair will have 1,320 extra parking spaces available to our fair-goers.
The Arts and Crafts exhibits, Senior Citizen’s Day, and Barnyard Nursery will be held at the Evac Shelter. The 4-H & FFA livestock shows will be held at Dewitt Livestock Facility right next to the Evac Shelter.
This year the fair will feature several new events. One of them will be the Dutch Oven Cooking Contest sponsored by the Deville/Kolin Knights of Columbus Council 1326.
Senior Citizen’s Day at the Fair
Friday, October 16, 2015
Information on Senior Citizen’s Day
· Senior Citizens 60+ and Nursing Home residents are eligible.
· All who participate MUST have a ticket.
· Tickets may be obtained at all twelve Senior Citizen Centers, 487-1561.
· Seniors desiring to be eligible for door prizes must have their name on back of ticket be taken up at the door of the State Evac Shelter.
· Seniors must be present to win door prize(s).
· A ticket will assure that you get a free lunch that day.
· All activities will take place in the State Evac Shelter from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Fair winner’s awards, both Senior Citizen and Nursing Home Division, will be presented at 11:30 a.m.
· Continuous entertainment, health screening, door prizes, awards and snacks will highlight the morning!
· The deadline for obtaining tickets for this event will be Friday, October 9, 2015.
Open fire dutch oven cooking
There will be a Open Fire Dutch Oven Cooking Contest at the Rapides Parish Fair on Saturday, October 17, 2015. A team will consist of 3 participants. Entry fee is $50 per team. Contestants must prepare a main dish, a dessert and a bread (3 pot format). The contest is open to everyone. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 teams. Entry fee is $50 per team. Everyone may begin setting up the designated area from 5am to 7am. Fair goers will have the opportunity to sample after contest.
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
The Compact Tractor Driving will be held Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. during the Rapides Parish Fair.
*Compact Tractor requires contestants to drive a riding mower through an obstacle course. Any 4-H member may participate.
*Contestants in both categories will be judged on safety, driving ability, safety inspections, and possibly parts identification.
Course instructions are available at the 4-H office. All equipment will be provided for these contests.
Best Dressed Chicken Contest
Superintendents: Elizabeth Brownlee & Martha Petrus1. Open to all 4-H and FFA members
2. Must have poultry in the 4-H show.
3. Dress the bird in the best costume you can think up!
4. Will have 1st, 2nd & 3rd places
5. Must use chicken that was in the 4-H Poultry Show.
Premiums: 1st Place – $50 ; 2nd Place – $30; 3rd Place – $20
Rules and Premiums
1. Any beef or dairy animal entered in the 2014 Rapides Parish Fair is eligible for the contest.
2. 4-H/FFA member does not have to own the cow that is entered in the Pretty Cow Contest.
3. Exhibitor must be able to control animal. If they cannot control animal they will be disqualified and asked to leave the ring.
4. All animals must have current health papers.
5. All animals must have head dress.
6. Contestant must have a description of costume, name of animal, age, breed, weight color of eyes, and an introduction to be read in the ring when the cow is being introduced.
7. Entries are to made to Peggy Williams by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 10, 2014.
This contest is open to any kindergarten through 3rd grade class in the Rapides Parish School System and parochial system within Rapides Parish. Accredited private schools can also participate.
Completed pumpkins must be brought to the Fair’s Exhibit Building between the hours of 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Tuesday, October 7th.
Hay Stacking Contest
Saturday, October 17, 2015– 6:00 p.m.
Superintendents: Jim Brownlee & Elizabeth Brownlee
–Open to all 4-H and FFA members
-Must be able to pick up at least 30 lbs or more
-Needs to be a team of 2 people
1. Will have an obstacle course to run and then you will have to have one person on the trailer to stack and the other person to throw the hay to the stacker.
2. Best time willl win. Hay will have to be stacked the right way on the trailer
Age Groups:9-11-$20.00; 12-14-$20.00; 15-18-$20.00
One winner from each age group.
Rooster Crowing Contest
Saturday, October 17, 2015- 6 p.m.
1. Open to adults and children.
2. Will have to crow like a rooster.
3. Children Age Groups Are: 7-10, 11-14, & 15-18
Adult age groups are: 19 & up
***Trophy award to 1st, 2nd & 3rd places
Rabbit-themed arts & crafts competition
1. Open to all 4-H and Open Rabbit exhibitors.
2. Any arts and crafts are eligible as long as they are rabbit themed.
Ugliest rabbit contest
2. Bring your ugliest healthy rabbit.
Bunny Costume Contest
1. Open to 4-H and Open Rabbit exhibitors
2. Dress rabbit in the best costume you can think of!